Friday, September 5, 2014

Health and Happiness

When I say that Crossroad Health Center (Crossroad) is filled with the most hard-working, selfless, and caring doctors I have ever met, I am not exaggerating. Everyone who works at Crossroad is there purely to help people; being paid is not the purpose. I first applied to the Crossroad Volunteer Internship Program (CVIP) because I dream of opening my own clinic in another country one day. I thought that working at a clinic that helps the underserved in my own community would be a great way to see and experience what it would be like. I correctly assumed that I would gain an immense amount of knowledge, but I had no idea that I would have the opportunity to actually help people as only a college student.

At Crossroad, I make referral calls, shadow and assist doctors, and work in a pre-visit planning room. However, my main focus and passion at Crossroad is facilitating a tobacco treatment support group. Every Monday at 3:30, a group of people from all walks of life gather on the second floor of the clinic with one shared goal: to quit smoking. Many of the patients I meet in the group have been through so much in their lives – violence, incarceration, prostitution, alcoholism, drug addictions. They have worked tirelessly to free themselves of those chains and they come to the support group to fix one last thing in their lives. Quitting smoking is no easy feat. Nicotine is more addictive than crack, and several ex-crack users in the group can attest to that. It is so inspiring to even be in the presence of these people who have overcame so much, let alone have the opportunity to help them better their lives further.

Up until working with the Tobacco Treatment Group, I knew that smoking was not good, but I had no idea of the extent it can hinder life. Just looking around the circle, one can observe the terrible effects it can have on a man or a woman. The heavier smokers are out of breath from just talking, their voices are raspy, one is missing limbs because of amputations due to lack of circulation, younger patients look twenty years older, and almost all are poor and their addiction forces them to fork over six dollars whenever they need a new pack.

As the facilitator, I have become a cheerleader, a shoulder to cry on, a resource, and even a friend to many of the regular group members. It is heartbreaking to witness the frustration and despair that frequents our discussions, due to inability to quit. The doctor that comes to the group and I share methods to quit, stress management strategies, craving management, medications, tips, tools, and hope. Working at Crossroad has been the single most rewarding experience I have had in Cincinnati because I have actually been able to make a difference, all the while learning so much about health, life, and dedication. Group members that have quit since I began facilitating the group have already reported how much better they feel and how much their quality of life has improved. Health and happiness are the top two things that I want to spread in the world, and CVIP has given me the opportunity to do just that.

-Sami Nandyal

25 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! Not many more powerful ways to be involved in improving the health of our nation, that's for sure. Here is a pretty interesting resource to check out, if you are interested: http://www.commonwealthfund.org/~/media/files/publications/fund-report/2003/mar/the-business-case-for-tobacco-cessation-programs--a-case-study-of-group-health-cooperative-in-seattl/march_bcs_tobaccocessation_614-pdf.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning on breastfeeding. I was thinking for about 2 months while I am on maternity leave. My dad said that if I can I should try to breastfeed the baby for at least 6 months. My mom thinks breastfeeding is gross so she was not much help.
    urgent care brooklyn ny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Your post is very informative and helpful for us. In fact i am looking this type of article from some days.

    it works weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very useful tips. I really appreciate your post.Thank you once again.

    Nourish your mind

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice service there are just few who are providing this service great job.
    accupunture

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative!
    doctor recruitment agency

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. I Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!
    Growing Medical Marijuana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. I Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!
    Growing Medical Marijuana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved reading your thoughts, obviously you know what are you talking about! Your site is so easy to use too, I’ve bookmark it in my folder
    Spinning Exercise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative!cosmetic teeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your experience is great and learning for other peoples.
    car accident care clermont

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am undeniably thankful to you for providing us with this invaluable related information. My spouse and I are easily grateful, quite frankly the documents we needed.
    full mouth rehabilitation tucson az

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the update you have nicely covered this topic. keep it up
    Pediatric Dentist Birmingham AL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really feel very good after read your blog and very happy after get some information.
    women/beauty skincare

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Swedish Massage

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been reading a lot of stuff about it. but it is different presented, i loved to read this. Keep it up.
    in home massage

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is truly a great and helpful piece of information and nice collection.
    Massage Therapy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it.I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    massage

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.
    Beauty Diary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Valuable information in your blog and I really appreciate your work and keep it up dude I really very informative blog about the health.
    Change Your Life Forever

    ReplyDelete
  22. Health and body care is very are very important for life and i really appreciate your all information.
    Chest and Triceps workout

    ReplyDelete
  23. This article has great reference value, thank you very much for sharing, I would like to reproduced your article, so that more people would see it.
    train your pelvic floor

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a nice blog and very nice you work and sharing this wonderful article about the cure for autism.
    A cure for autism

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the post. I am very glad after ready and get useful information about the philosophy and psychology from your blog.
    self-improvement

    ReplyDelete