Thursday, September 14, 2017

#theVIPExperience Post #26: Zoha Mian


By participating in the program and engaging with the patient population at Crossroad, I have built a desire and drive to seek justice and work for the marginalized as I have first hand seen the problems they encounter as a result of our flawed health care system. Some patients have to wait for months upon months for some life debilitating conditions all because of the type of insurance they have. This insurance, unfortunately, is based on their income and is determined by the zip code into which they were born. Good health, both mental and physical, is the building block of a better future. I cannot begin to describe the amount of growth I have experienced as a result of this program. Not all of it has been easy, and, in fact, I would say that it has been immensely difficult most of the time. I have experienced my fair share of failed attempts to schedule a referral, painful encounters with patients who, through the pain, continually inspire me with their courage and vulnerability, and general hiccups along the way.

My time at the Crossroad Health Center has helped me develop as a leader as it has widened my perspective and has shown me that a leader is not one who controls or decides, but more of one who guides. At first many of the patients seemed rude and uncooperative but it was not until I started working with them that I realized why. Many of the patients at Crossroad have a family to provide for, which means working at least two or more jobs. They also may not have reliable transportation or means of communication. Some of our patients do not even know where their next meal will come from or how they will afford their medications. Once I thought about these stressors, I had a new perspective on why these patients in the ER seemed rude and uncooperative.

What I realized was that the patients were not rude at all but were simply blunt; probably because they did not have time to waste. They also were not uncooperative, but instead simply did not have the means to take care of themselves the way middle to upper class families do. Some disregarded medical appointments because they were too tired or they simply forgot. In this situation, it is easy to get frustrated when you feel as if you are doing everything in your power for someone else and getting nothing in return. However, it is important to remember that while they look to you for help, it is not in your right to tell them what you think is right or wrong but instead help guide them in the direction that they think is best for them. These volunteer experiences have grown my confidence in my leadership capabilities as they have widened my perspective, assisted in my creative thinking, and have helped me reflect on myself by connecting with others.
                
                                                                                                  -- Zoha Mian

No comments:

Post a Comment