Thursday, September 28, 2017

#theVIPExperience Post #28: Akhil Kavuri

My experience at Crossroad has allowed me to see healthcare in a new light. My experience, as with most undergraduate students interested in healthcare, has centered around shadowing physicians in medical offices and hospitals located in suburban settings. While there is a lot to learn from these experiences, these experiences alone can distort the reality of healthcare. Future healthcare providers should be open to treating and managing the health of patients of all backgrounds, especially including all socioeconomic backgrounds. I would argue that restricting our shadowing and healthcare experience to areas where a majority of patients are middle to upper class creates an unrealistic expectation for us as future healthcare professionals.

Without experiencing the health issues of areas where patients don’t always have easy access to emergency rooms or preventative health care, we create an expectation that patients always have the ability to seek help when they need it. The patients at Crossroad have opened my eyes to the need for better healthcare options that exists in underserved areas such as OTR.  The obstacles that clinics have to overcome has not only shocked me but amazed me as well. But it’s worth it because the effort we put forward as volunteers, nurses, MAs, and providers is reciprocated by the gratitude of our patients.

For me, this has been the first healthcare experience where I am actively making a difference in the lives of our patients. Crossroad has given me the opportunity to be part of team who is working to slowly change the overall of health of our community. Even though I have a lot more to learn about patient care, and health management, I have been able to get my feet wet. I have been able to regularly practice my communication skills with patients, which is an opportunity that is not readily available as an undergraduate student. I have learned about the documentation process, helped patients in the clinic, and shadowed physicians.

The amount of caring individuals that work at Crossroad is hard to find anywhere, let alone in a healthcare setting. I am grateful for my experience at Crossroad, and hope to learn more as I finish my second rotation and move into my third. I would recommend anyone to become a volunteer at Crossroad but I would especially encourage any students who are interested in the medical field. I think you should expand beyond just shadowing and immerse yourself in the clinical experience. I challenge my fellow students to find opportunities like Crossroad (though they are pretty rare) where you can work with others to create a difference in the health of your community. Because ultimately, being a VIP at Crossroad is not just about shadowing or scheduling referrals. It is about accepting our responsibility to create opportunities for people to manage and improve their health.  

                                                                                                            -- Akhil Kavuri




No comments:

Post a Comment