Friday, January 19, 2018

#theVIPExperience Post #46: Griffin Bates

Unlike most of the other incredible VIPs I have met during my first rotation as a VIP at the Crossroad Health Center, I had already graduated and begun a career before applying and joining the team. I spent a year and a half working for a local Aerospace company (not GE! But we did make parts for GE) in Engineering, R&D, and testing. While intriguing and scientifically challenging, I felt unfulfilled and ended up resigning this position to focus on community healthcare and chase a lifelong ambition of becoming a doctor. I met with a family friend who works in this capacity to ask advice on how to achieve my goals. The sum of her invaluable advice was to gain knowledge and get involved, with the culmination of her recommendations being to apply to the VIP program. I cannot express how lucky I am to have had that person in my life.

Being a Crossroad’s VIP has allowed me to gain experience in a modern healthcare setting while making a difference to the people in our city. It is vital for anyone with an interest in healthcare to understand how the cost of care and medicine has created a barrier to healthy living that the staff at Crossroad, and us as VIPs, work everyday to bring down just a little bit for those we serve. Every referral is not just a task to check off of a life, but also the possibility to change someone’s life. As a VIP, I have seen empowerment, relief, and genuine joy resulting from the work we do everyday.

I spent the past year looking for opportunities to get involved in healthcare and become better acquainted with healthcare today. I have yet to find an opportunity that provides such a powerful platform to learn from while also providing a frequently overlooked service to the community, as does the VIP program. When I arrived for orientation, I could not help but notice I was slightly older than most of the other VIPs in the room. But I learned very quickly how smart, dedicated, and caring each and every person in the program is. I can honestly say that I feel privileged to be a peer and coworker with every single VIP. The work the Crossroad Health Center performs, along with the amazing group of VIPs I have gotten to know, is the kind of action that the future of this and any community, and including one’s self, can be built from.
                                                                                                 -- Griffin Bates

No comments:

Post a Comment