Thursday, March 22, 2018

#theVIPExperience Post #52: Franny Nazzarine

Community, Compassion, Camaraderie 

These are the words that instantly come to mind when I think about my experience as a member of the Volunteer Intern Program at Crossroad Health Center in Over the Rhine. 

I have been fortunate enough to work as a VIP for almost a year. I began with an optimistic but limited attitude, hoping to help a few patients and maybe make a few friends along the way. However, I came to find that the VIP experience exceeded my expectations in every way. I not only discovered amazing new friends I will keep for a lifetime, I found a sense of fulfillment when I saw what my contribution was making to the individual lives of our patients and the community as a whole. 

This, among many other things, is what inspired me to select these 3 words to describe my experience. 

Community - Crossroads is an establishment dedicated to helping one's neighbor in need. Its staff members go above and beyond to assist struggling members of our community in every way possible. Offering affordable health care and helping patients with limited experience schedule appointments and receive adequate transportation plays a huge part in the evolution of OTR.

Compassion - Each and every Crossroads team member, both employee and volunteer, approaches each case with empathy, understanding, and a genuine desire to help. One of the biggest reward I've found as a VIP is a patient thanking me for their amazing service and the patience and kindness they received throughout their time at Crossroads.

Camaraderie - The VIP program is one of friendship and teamwork. Looking back at my experience, the part I enjoyed the most throughout my time at Crossroads was meeting and befriending the other VIPs. They are amazing, selfless, dedicated individuals who I am lucky to call my friends.
Overall, being a VIP has been a wonderful experience in my life, and I am a better person for having participated! :)    

                                                                                                                    - Franny Nazzarine
 

No comments:

Post a Comment