Monday, July 23, 2018

#theVIPExperience Post #57: Kellsa Mbah

My time here as a VIP at Crossroad Health Center has been nothing short of amazing. Upon arrival here, I was a bit anxious about what was expected of me and nervous to be doing work that would be impacting people directly. I did not really know what to expect as far as the roles and dynamics at Crossroad. The VIPs before me along with my referral team leader and Kaitlyn, and staff really made my first weeks here a breeze. There was always someone to help with whatever I needed and help me understand the referral process. The anxiousness that I felt coming in quickly dissipated and I felt like I belonged here.

One of the many experiences that I love about being a VIP is being able to shadow a physician or NP. This opportunity is so beneficial especially since most of us here are going into some kind of medical profession in the future. The proximity and first-hand look at what we would potentially want to do is invaluable.

The role as a VIP I think is particularly unique because we are working in the backgrounds aiding the physicians and nurses make sure patients are being seen in as much of a timely manner as possible. We are helping solve real issues that impact the people such as insurance and finding place of care, transportation to appointments, and understanding the process that goes behind seeing physicians.

It is a very gratifying feeling being able to help others and the patients are so thankful for our help and time. For me, it is this feeling that encourages me to pursue a career in medicine. There are so many ways to make a difference in someone’s life and the community. This internship gives us the opportunity to come together to do so.


                                                                                                --Kellsa Mbah

1 comment: