Tuesday, March 24, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #90: Munachimso Anachebe

As a pre-med student I have considered the Crossroad Volunteer Internship Program to be a unique opportunity for me to gain an inside view into the American healthcare system. Hence, the overall knowledge and experience I have obtained from the program are surely indispensable. I started off the program with a lot of doubt when I was working with the Tobacco Treatment Group (TTG). Also, I initially faced some difficulties as I did not know how to interact with its members as well as the other interns in the group but over time my worries faded and eventually, I found the courage to talk to these people to the extent that doing so felt natural. This experience was truly a wonderful one especially when members of the group were willing to share some stories about their lives and the work Crossroad had done for them. Moreover, my time in TTG was truly an eye-opening experience that has definitely left its mark on me as it helped me to grow as a person and hopefully to help its members do the same. 
As I progressed and eventually started my second rotation, I was faced with different tasks in the form of scheduling appointments and transportation for patients and calling patients to inform or remind them of this information. I began with little knowledge on how to do the work but surely, I was able to adapt to perform the given tasks with confidence. Generally, being a VIP at Crossroad has allowed me to develop a deeper appreciation and understanding for those who put in time and effort to ensure that people in need of certain healthcare services are able to access them with relative ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment