Thursday, March 26, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #92: Dhriti Sharma

I grew up with a somewhat sheltered lifestyle, so when  I started volunteering at Crossroad Health Center, I was met with a different environment. I took many things for granted like health insurance or the ability to see a doctor whenever I needed one without having to worry about factors like money, transportation, or even access to a phone. I realized how hard it is for people who are struggling economically to get basic healthcare. People at crossroad health center are all willing to come together as one to make a difference in these people’s lives by providing the best patient care, and I’m so glad that I can also be involved in this mission. 

I have learned so much during my time here at Crossroad. I’ve learned that communication both orally and digitally is a key factor when it comes to patient care. I am able to communicate not only with my fellow VIPs but also with nurses and doctors. Being able to work with nurses and doctors, I was able to get a glimpse at what their jobs were like. Observing these professionals every week made my passion for medicine and working with the underserved even stronger. I realized that at the clinic no job is of less importance than the next. Everybody working together is what made the Crossroad Health Center successful. Healthcare workers like us are becoming increasingly more important with COVID-19 going around. All of us being available to the patient during times like this is what will truly matter at the end, especially because these people may not have anywhere else to go for healthcare. 

Working at Crossroad has been truly an enriching experience for me because it exposed me to the diversity that exists within my community. This has also been a rewarding experience because I was able to be part of a program that prioritize patient 
care and well-being above anything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment