Tuesday, April 4, 2023

#theVIPexperience Post #197: Stephanie Garcia

    

    "When entering the Crossroad Volunteer Internship Program, it was very eye-opening and welcoming. It was eye-opening because Crossroad tackles helping people within and outside of the community that struggles with getting proper healthcare. They provide offices like a pharmacy, clinic, and dentist for their patients. Not only that, but Crossroad takes in a lot of patients that do not have insurance at an affordable price, which is one of the things that I love about Crossroad, and made me feel welcomed. As for someone lucky to have annual checkups, my parents back in their home country were not so lucky. Clinics and hospitals were so far away from where they were from, and they had to resort to home remedies or use whatever they could find to treat their wounds, even if they had to put sand and soil on their wounds. Looking back at my parents' struggles, I always wanted something like or similar to Crossroad to exist at the time of my parents' medical struggles. Having my parents' struggles in mind, I appreciate all the hard work Crossroad had done for the patients.

    Crossroad made me feel welcome because the patients I call and interact with over the phone have a similar situation that my family and I have been through in the US healthcare system. Not only that but as a VIP that knows Spanish fluently, I'm able to help lots of Spanish speakers due to the language barrier they have with English. I know Spanish is not the only language barrier that patients experience, but the staff at Crossroad are there to help patients that are non-English speakers, lack transportation, and have no insurance. Working as a VIP, I'm able to help bridge the connection between the patients with either their provider or physician. Knowing that the little interactions that we, VIPs, have with patients are huge help for them in the long run, especially with patients that have not experience the best healthcare in their past. Something I have learned that I wish I knew was that Crossroad can help with transportation. As a VIP, we help schedule patients' transportation so they can arrive at their appointment. A clinic like Crossroad provides these resources and has the opportunity to have programs like the Volunteer Internship Program all are trying to make a difference in everyone's lives so they can have the best care that they need to live a long healthy life. I am grateful for being a VIP so I can see the providers' point of view in a clinical setting in a patient-provider relationship. Furthermore, I will take everything that i have learned and incorporate my experience into my future medical journey."

No comments:

Post a Comment