Tuesday, January 9, 2024

#theVIPexperience Post #201: Jillian Covell

    "I grew up in a small suburb outside of Cleveland, Ohio. Nearly everyone had health insurance provided by one of their parent's jobs and they were able to see whatever doctor they wanted whenever they wanted. I grew up thinking anyone could make any appointment they needed, not even wondering if I would need a referral. And appointments with my dentist every six months were normal, not an added benefit to my insurance plan. My time at Crossroad has opened my eyes to the privilege that I have grown up with. It had also opened my mind to thinking about less privileged people. It has been a life-altering experience working with the wonderful community that Crossroad serves. We serve a population of individuals who may not have the time or means to get to appointments or get their medications. It has certainly taught me a lot more than school ever has about the looming inequalities among different populations in the country.
    My time as a VIP has been extremely fulfilling and I feel honored to have been able to spend time helping as many individuals as I have. It has been a reaffirming experience in regard to my own interest, as I know with even more certainty that I belong in the medical field. It has been extremely rewarding knowing that the little bits of help we provide by helping to schedule patients at their referral appointments are enough to brighten their who day and take a large load off their backs. It is not always easy trying to maneuver around their insurance and schedules, but every time we can help it is the greatest feeling in the world. Being able to serve this community is a huge honor, and I am so grateful to have this experience and learn more about these individuals and our society as a whole."



No comments:

Post a Comment