Thursday, May 13, 2021

#theVIPexperience Post #133: Noor Amir

When COVID hit the world, I became concerned about my ability to gain healthcare experience as a pre-med student. Then I discovered Crossroad Health Center and how they were offering students the ability to be involved in healthcare during a pandemic in a safe and appropriate manner. This truly excited me because I felt that I was finally going to be able to connect with others and learn about this field during a time when everything is being conducted remotely. I contacted a few volunteers from this program and learned all about the wonderful work Crossroads does and the impact it has had on their life. Therefore, I decided that I would apply and hoped to gain a spot on this team of inspiring and dedicated students. When I joined Crossroads, I immediately felt that the cohort of students were all well organized and passionate about this program. I was trained and they were welcoming about any questions I had, and I loved to see how the program had adapted during COVID, which speaks to the resilience of its team. After my first shift I felt really proud to call myself a volunteer for Crossroads because while I have shadowed before, this was a unique type of healthcare experience I had never been a part of before. I felt that I could see the real-life outcome of each of my shifts and I felt like an integral member of a healthcare team for the first time ever. One thing that has always ignited my passion to work in this field is the ability to learn about someone's life and connect with them. Crossroads has provided me with a distinctive and dynamic experience in the field of healthcare that has taught me critical skills that will continue to help me in the future. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment