Monday, March 20, 2023

#theVIPexperience Post #191: Sandy Chan

    "Enriching. That's the word that I can confidently use to sum up my experience thus far at Crossroad. In fact, I still remember my very first rotation at Crossroad. Learning the process of referrals, how to help schedule a patient's appointment, and how to communicate efficiently with various individuals was an eye-opening experience. Gaining experience in working with a population that I was unfamiliar with, I was able to retrieve and retain valuable skills (communication, listening, professionalism, etc.) that will certainly aid me in any future endeavors that I may encounter. 

    During my weekly shifts, it was and still is important for me to assist patients with scheduling their appointments as soon as possible for treatment. Not only was it critical to consider the timing and location of the appointment, but it was imperative to make sure that the clinic accepted their insurance and that they had the access to the transportation necessary for their appointment. After successfully scheduling patients' appointments, the sense of fulfillment is prominent since I felt like I truly made an impact in the procedure. Through my work, I am able to ease the process for patients by minimizing the confusion of the logistics with scheduling an appointment. 

    Therefore, I truly enjoy my time with Crossroad, especially with the patients and the other volunteers. It is a great place to learn more about the social determinants of healthcare, to further your skills even more, and to interact with patients and understand their perspective on certain aspects. Consequently, if I had anything to say for future VIPs, I would tell them to not be afraid when asking questions and to have confidence when you make your first call. The community working with Crossroad consists of some of the most welcoming people you will ever see, so do not hesitate to ask questions!"

No comments:

Post a Comment