Thursday, March 23, 2023

#theVIPexperience Post #196: Akansha Khadka

    "I come from an underprivileged and a 3rd-world country that has been developing, struggling for decades over social and political issues. The nation's instability hindered proper healthcare, social mobility and comprised education, to name a few. A generation before mine, girls were fortunate enough to go to school, abandoning farm work or heck, working day and night to attend a couple hours of school. The refugee camps of Nepal witnessed un-ending poverty cycles, famine, seeking out intense labor jobs to provide for the family, and lack of basic healthcare. In my own family, I have lived through my grandparents face the hardships of losing their sons in a rural area with no hospitals nearby. Within minutes, my uncle had died with an unexplainable ear pain. The closest hospital was 50 minutes away, hidden behind the hills and roads less taken. He was 6 years old, the other one, 13. They had lost two songs and the social disability they felt was a separate concern. Ever since 5, I continued to have seen all kinds of social determinants of health and it shaped people's lives forever. There were floods, fire destroying bamboo-built residences, and countless deaths. One in particular, I remember a 7-year-old boy lying dead, washed away by the flood. His lungs were filled with fluids, he appeared blue. It must've been several hours. You could hear the mother's cry for hours till dawn. The helplessness, lack of resources and treatments or diagnosis of diseases are still prevalent in millions of people. I knew I wanted to go up to help this cause. Most specifically, when I came to America, I knew I could dream big and work for them. I could help people and their conditions. There are other struggling nations, and refugee camps. I wanted to go around with the UN- setting up base camps and reaching as many people as I could. These would be the once-a-month visits patients would have to wait for back home.

    I am passionate, kind, curious, hardworking, and a caring personality. I knew what I wanted, what to do, whom to contact, when, how to get started early and how to seek these opportunities or further aid. These are the traits and skills I have used for all my experiences. When it comes to healthcare, I want to give it my all and have been. When I heard about Crossroad, I knew I wanted to work with patients who are limited in opportunities and face health disparities. Patients that face the most disparities are often the ones with higher rates/risk of chronic diseases and mortality. I wanted to make Crossroad a crucial part of my undergraduate years. It has allowed me to gain clinical exposure, interact with patients, help with their needs and work with them post their appointments. This was the first time I dealt with patient referrals, insurance companies and scheduling transportation. 

    The experience truly allowed me to think about ways the elderly, minority, and the disabled population experience these disparities. Whether it be language barriers, transportation, age, socioeconomic status, insurance, lack of living assistance or family, whatever the patient was dealing with on the other end of the phone call, they were happy we were part of the process. The work I did left me with joy as I recall my mother doing the same work for my sick grandparents who had several conditions. I am aware of the tedious phone calls, doctor appointments, regular checkups, and the strength it takes to do this. This is crucial especially when you are old and sick, needing to seek out medical professionals. You need aid, reminders, ways to get proper attention and care. I am lucky to have the opportunity to assist every individual. These are exposures, lessons, and skills I will always need throughout my journey. One way to sum up this experience has been 'fulfilling.' I had patients so grateful, thanking me countless times over the phone. It's been eye-opening in terms of witnessing behind the scenes the healthcare in gentrified areas, more specially, cities in America. I have retained a lot, learned important skills, worked professionally trying to help incoming VIPs. I know the work will continue and there will be amazing future VIPs. Never forget why you are here and remember that you are making an impact."

No comments:

Post a Comment