Monday, March 6, 2017

#theVIPExperience Post #7: Erica Lampert


            Before my experience here at Crossroads, I always thought going to the doctor was a normal, annual process that everyone was able to do. I never once considered that maybe a trip to the doctor’s office would cost someone their meal for the night, or that going to get medicine for a cold would leave a child in their house all alone. Before interning here, I never imagined that anyone could consider anything else more important than their health—without health, how was anyone to function normally in life? It was silly to me that some people would skip the doctors because they wanted to work instead, or because they just couldn’t find the time to go. I was shocked that people just never even considered going to the doctors because to me, health is something that should be important to everyone. If you had to skip work or school to go to a doctor’s appointment, then you should do it because it is important. I was naïve, however, because I never put myself in the shoes of those who could not merely skip work, who could not simply get to their appointments, or those who could not simply afford the appointments. Interning at Crossroad Health Center has really opened my eyes as to why the doctors isn’t always the biggest priority in everyone’s mind.
            If a person is living in poverty, having the insurance, money, and transportation to attend the appointment is extremely difficult to do. There are many times that I have to call patients to remind them of their appointments the following day, and end up having to quickly call the doctor’s office and cancel that appointment because the patient doesn’t have the money to pay for it right now. There has also been several times that a patient is turned away from a doctor’s office because of their insurance, even though they may be facing a serious medical condition. I never understood until now that for some people, making and attending a doctor’s appointment is not worth the trouble of dealing with their cold, depression, or aching foot. To call off work might mean calling off dinner for the rest of the family so they can pay for the appointment they needed for their liver problems. Until I actually interacted with patients, I never understood how much is actually going on in their lives to make going to the doctor obsolete.
            There has also been too many times to count where I have had to cancel appointments because someone had lost their brother, aunt, mother, father, cousin, uncle, or child, and was not in the state of mind to attend that appointment. I have never had to deal with losing someone like that, so I never even consider losing someone as a factor as to why people could not go to the appointments made for them. When someone is living in poverty, it is hard to make something like health a priority when a million other more important things are going on around them.  Work must always come first because money is essential to surviving in that lifestyle. Without work, there is no way to pay for anything, thus resulting in more poverty and making it harder to live a healthy life style. A life in poverty is a domino effect, and I wish there was some way to implement health without having to take from everyone’s pocketbook.
            Before coming to Crossroads, I never understood why something so simple to me, was not done by millions of others who needed it. I didn’t understand that giving up a day to go to a checkup, or to figure out why your headaches are so bad, was a huge problem to those living in poverty. Crossroads has opened me up to experiences that I have never faced before, allowing me to understand why my job there is so essential to the program. It isn’t easy for everyone to just take off wok and come see a doctor, nor is it easy to not get help and work in order to put food on the table. Health in poverty needs to be looked at more seriously and more closely, and thanks to Crossroads I am now able to do just that.

-- Erica Lampert

No comments:

Post a Comment