Tuesday, March 14, 2017

#theVIPExperience Post #8: Anna Klunk


Crossroad is a wonderful community. I hear many VIPs say they are thankful for this experience because it exposes them to “how the other half lives”. They had no idea that this underserved population could be so thankful, and kind. I came into Crossroad already knowing that. These patients are people just like me, and they deserve my respect just as much as anyone else. I love Crossroad because the providers see their patients the same way I do: as people. Just people. They do not need to categorize them as, oh, that is a homeless person. No he or she is just a person. And at Crossroad, people look out for each other.

Prior to my experience at Crossroad, I had never looked into how other medical communities provided care to best fit the needs of the population they are serving. That was until I came across an experience with my own medical provider. They made assumptions about my privilege, and sent me away with instructions that I could not follow because I could not afford them. This opened my eyes to how the majority of the medical community operates, and what makes Crossroad so different.

This experience with my own doctor showed me how truly important my job at Crossroad can be for the patients that attend. I remember how alone I felt as I sat in my car after realizing I could not afford the specialty care that had been referred to me, and that is where it ended. No one followed up with me to see if I needed help, or if there were other options, I was on my own. Crossroad is so special because we put forth the extra effort to make sure that the patients know we are there for them, and that we will do whatever it takes to get them the care they need, whether it means holding for 20 minutes trying to contact a hospital, getting in touch with financial aid services, or working with insurance companies to see what we can do to create the best possible option for the patient.

I am thankful to be a VIP at Crossroad because it allows me to make a difference in someone’s life each time I work. In addition, it has taught me that I can make a difference later in my life as well should I continue on to practice medicine.

-- Anna Klunk

No comments:

Post a Comment