Monday, July 3, 2017

#theVIPExperience Post #21: Lily Marrero


Unlike some of my fellow VIPs, my first encounter with Crossroad Health Center took place not in college, but high school. Clark Montessori is a public high school right here in Cincinnati, and during our senior year, each student finds a “job shadow” in a field of their choice, and I was searching for a Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner. Fortunately, I found Brook Gumm, CPNP. Those two weeks shadowing her, seeing patients and watching her day-to-day activities, were what solidified my resolve to pursue a career in nursing, and eventually my own CPNP certification. After those two weeks, I wanted nothing more than to return to Crossroad someday. 

After one semester at the University of Cincinnati, in the Honors program, I got my chance. Several of my fellow Honors Scholars have participated in the VIP program, and presented on it during one of my classes. Realizing that I would have the opportunity to return to the place I had so loved, I applied as soon as the Spring Rotation was available. For the first three weeks of my rotation, I shadowed none other than the amazing Ms. Brook. Those first weeks reminded me of exactly why I had enjoyed myself so much the first time around: not only was I fascinated by the medicine (I always have been), but I was so touched by the stories that the patients trusted us with. They revealed to Ms. Brook their biggest worries, their most frightening obstacles, and instead of dismissing them, she supported these people, these families, with suggestions and careful listening ears. 

It is with this same spirit and consideration that I approach my duties as a VIP. I was given the honor this rotation of becoming the Referral Team Leader for the Over-the-Rhine Pediatrics team, and I’ve never been busier or felt more fulfilled. As I’ve seen in some other posts, it is true: a lot of what we do is make phone calls. And sometimes, those phone calls are met with less than pleasant answers or voicemails, and sometimes nothing at all. It can be frustrating, it’s true. Even more irritating and discouraging can be those referrals which are, for whatever reason, incredibly difficult to schedule; complicated referral documents, requests for records, slow faxes, miscommunications, and many other factors can stall or even stop the process of scheduling completely. This leads to frustrated volunteers, staff, and of course, patients. However, those frustrations are minute compared to the joy when a complicated referral finally gets scheduled. I have heard such gratitude expressed; patients and their families so often thank us for taking the responsibility, and time spent on the phone, off their plates. I often think of how these four hours out of my week can help families get their children to crucial appointments; they just don’t have the half hour or hour, or two, to spend on the phone, researching and communicating. But I do, I have the time to donate, and I give it more than willingly. 
   -- Lily Marrero

No comments:

Post a Comment