Thursday, July 13, 2017

#theVIPExperience Post #22: Julia Harrison

-->
My name is Julia Harrison and I am in my second rotation as a VIP at Crossroad. When I first applied to the program, I honestly did not know what to expect. I only heard that I would be doing something at a desk in a health care setting and since I plan to study medicine, I thought it would be good to participate in. I had no idea what a valuable experience it would become. Not only do I feel that I have gotten a “sneak-peek” into the health care professions, but my eyes have been opened to the struggles of patients of the underserved population of Over-The-Rhine.
Having grown up in a privileged community, I had never known how easy it was for underprivileged patients to get lost in the system or how hard it is for them to get the treatments that they need. It amazes me that as a VIP, someone who is trained to schedule referral appointments and arrange transportation, I still face difficulties. For someone who does not have the resources that the VIPs have, like unlimited phone minutes, access to internet, or time to sit on hold, scheduling referral appointments can seem nearly impossible. As a result, it may take patients a long time to schedule their appointments or they may forget or decide it is not worth the trouble. Because of my experience as a VIP, I have come to understand how essential the program is to the community it serves.
In addition to getting to work as a VIP, I also had the opportunity to shadow one of the primary care providers at Crossroad. Because I am considering becoming a doctor, I found it very valuable to watch a doctor who serves underserved patients. It is a sacrifice of their time and their compensation, which I found to be so admirable. Overall, my experiences at Crossroad, from shadowing the providers to interacting with the patients, have opened my eyes to career possibilities other than what I had previously considered. Because of my participation in the VIP Program, I am considering a career which provides underserved populations with more accessible health care. For anyone who is considering applying to be a VIP, I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is looking to learn more about health care or underserved populations.

     -- Julia Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment