Friday, November 17, 2017

#theVIPExperience Post #37: Karlee Proctor

I began my experience as a part of the Volunteer Internship Program last summer and I had no idea how big of an impact it would have on me. I have always had a passion for healthcare and serving others and my time at Crossroad has only reinforced this. 

When I first began my time at Crossroad, I shadowed Dr. Haas in the pediatric department at the OTR location. Dr. Haas introduced me to what it truly means to be a part of the Crossroad community. She genuinely cares for each and every patient and is very compassionate for the children and their families. She took the time to explain to me each individual patient in depth. She taught me a lot about the specific milestones children should be reaching at different times during their development, which really inspired me for my future career in pediatric occupational therapy.

Once I began my time as a VIP, I worked with patients and assisted them in scheduling their referrals. I quickly realized how complicated and stressful this can be for our patients due to the intensive communication with other physician offices. There are many obstacles that can create tension for our patients while trying to schedule these appointments, including transportation, insurance and convenience issues. We work with our patients to ensure their appointments are covered by their insurance and are easily accessible to them, even if this means searching for an office nearest their home.

The thing that I love most about Crossroad is how appreciative and grateful the majority of our patients are for our assistance. It is very heartwarming to hear the appreciation in a patient’s voice after scheduling a difficult referral for them. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a VIP at Crossroad and am incredibly appreciative for the lessons it has taught me. I have a better view and understanding on healthcare in my city from my experience at Crossroad. I have learned to be a more compassionate and understanding person and to be understanding of disparities and inequalities that face my community.
 
                                                                                                         -- Karlee Proctor

No comments:

Post a Comment