Friday, December 1, 2017

#theVIPExperience Post #42: Jen Stoker


Receiving treatment for medical problems is supposed to be a relief for the person suffering, a weight lifted off their shoulders. However, for many patients, being treated for an ailment is a huge burden: financially, emotionally, or otherwise. I, like many others, have seen firsthand how the healthcare system favors those who are financially well off, even though medical treatment is a necessity for everyone. As a VIP, our main job is schedule referral appointments for patients and to attempt to breakdown barriers that stand in their way of receiving medical care. When I call a patient to help them schedule an appointment, it is incredibly frustrating to hear that they are unable to attend a necessary appointment due to lack of transportation, large medical expenses, or the inability to get time off work. The goal of the VIP’s is to try to eliminate some of the barriers that patients face. Although we can never exactly understand what each patient is going though, coming in each week with a positive attitude and the intention to better someone’s day can truly make a difference. 

Health is a priority in a person’s life. Being in good health can affect every aspect of who you are. One of my first experiences truly feeling a connection to a patient at Crossroads was during the first few weeks when I had the opportunity to shadow Dr. Roberts. This patient was having health issues that no doctor had been able to diagnose. I understood the frustration they were experiencing, as I have had chronic health problems over the years that stumped many doctors. Dr. Roberts took the time to truly listen and try to better understand what the patient was going through. That is one of the best things about spending time at Crossroads; everyone who works there is patient, kind, and supportive of one another. It has been a great place to intern while trying to figure out what career path I should follow. Many of my peers who participate in the Volunteer Internship Program are in a pre-med program and hope to one day become doctors or nurses. Unfortunately, I realized freshmen year of college that I could not pursue these careers since even the mention of blood or bones in anatomy class made me queasy. I am currently studying Health Services Administration, but being a VIP has made me realize that my true passion is working directly with patients. I greatly appreciate the opportunity to work at such a patient-centered place, and I am truly inspired by the work each of the Crossroad’s staff members are doing every day.

                                                                                                                                       -- Jen Stoker 

No comments:

Post a Comment