Monday, February 12, 2018

#theVIPExperience Post #49: Vincent D’Anniballe

My undergraduate experience has been full of community service opportunities that have shaped my perceptions of healthcare. Specifically, my volunteer work at Crossroad Health Center has impacted me in ways that I had not expected. As I begin to reflect, my very first day as a VIP was an unforgettable one.

Admittedly, I was intimidated by the tall task of scheduling specialty referrals. Ensuring that patients had access to transportation, that their desired clinic accepted their insurance, and that their appointment(s) aligned with their availability seemed like an undeniably difficult juggling act. However, my uncertainty became unfounded as Crossroad sparked my passion for public health. At the end of my first shift, I couldn’t wait to come back.

The reason I enjoyed being a VIP so much was that Crossroad has granted me an experience that other places hadn’t—The ability to see the immediate results of my efforts. There is no feeling like hearing that a patient is extremely grateful for my help. Indeed, more than one patient has told me that without my assistance, they probably would have never scheduled their own referral! Without a doubt, I credit the gratefulness of patients for my ability to take pride in my work as a VIP. 

While some of us take our health for granted, seeking quality care can be extremely intimidating and seemingly impossible for those who do not have adequate resources. Ultimately, the patient referral team has allowed me to empathize for people who have been marginalized and excluded by our healthcare system. Each and every shift at Crossroad, I am reminded that I hold not only the passion, but the efficacy to improve the health of others regardless of their situation. 

                                                                                                                      -- Vincent D'Anniballe
       

No comments:

Post a Comment