Friday, August 10, 2018

#theVIPExperience Post #59: Ijeoma Ndupu

Growing up my mom always made sure our family gave back whenever possible whether it was donating to food banks or volunteering at soup kitchens. She always told me “Never get tired of doing little things for others, sometimes those little things occupy the biggest part of their hearts”. When I was younger I didn’t really understand what this meant, and would always shrug it off when she said it or I would complain when we had to get up early in the morning to volunteer. As I got older, I began to understand the true value of giving, community and gratitude especially through my experience at Crossroad.

When applying to Crossroad I was so excited at the opportunity of joining a team driven to serve people who are normally overlooked in the health care system. I didn’t really understand what my role would be during my time here, but I knew it would be big, because why not? When I first started, and became aware of my roles, I was confused because I thought I would be doing more! Answering telephones and making appointments was not my idea of big. However, my first impression was all wrong.

Being a VIP has been more rewarding than I’d ever thought it would be. It is more than gaining experience in a doctor’s office, it was knowing that we could provide a service that means everything to people who needed our help. The gratitude that I receive from patients after telling them that their appointment has been scheduled or that they now have transportation to an appointment they have been waiting to get for months makes volunteering at Crossroad so worth it. Not only is helping the patients with their needs rewarding, but the community that is established at crossroad is gratifying as well. From the MA’s, to the desk employees, and the referral team leaders, they are all are willing to lend a hand whenever you need it and that means so much. Ultimately, I am grateful for the opportunity to embark on the words of my mother and make a difference even if it’s the little things. My experience thus far with the Crossroad community and patients have been amazing, and I know it has shaped a momentous perspective that I will carry in my future career.

--Ijeoma Ndupu

No comments:

Post a Comment