Saturday, March 9, 2019

#theVIPExperience Post #60: Cameron Carothers

My experience at Crossroad Health Center has not met my expectations of the program when I entered it in January. It has far exceeded them. From the beginning, I knew that I would enjoy my time here when I shadowed Dr. Wilson, a pediatric physician at the Crossroad Harrison location. She was so kind, and I enjoyed spending the day with her, seeing patients and consulting with the physicians and nurses. It is very clear that the providers here are so passionate about their careers and their faith. Through this, I have learned that being in the medical field is obviously about helping people, but having the opportunity to take that a step further and support these families wholeheartedly through faith and compassion really brings out the importance of the profession.
After my shadowing experience, I began working directly with patients by helping them schedule referral appointments. It has been an interesting and challenging experience because no two patient cases are the same. Every time I call a patient regarding a referral, I am not sure what to expect. Except, I always know that they will be kind and grateful for whatever help I can give them. That is what I have come to cherish over my time as a volunteer at Crossroad- the community. I always look forward to making phone calls and helping patients because I know that I am taking one thing off their to-do list, and hopefully easing some stress that might be piling up in their day.
I have one more rotation here, and I hope that I can make a lasting impression on the VIP program that will continue to make a difference in the lives of the Crossroad community. As a nutrition major, I am very passionate about health and wellness. I would love to be able to pass that passion on to the patients here by creating a website or a blog where they can go to find information about health topics that pertain to them, written by the VIPs. Since most of the VIPs are in a health-related area of study, I think that this would be an effective way to make them think about all aspects of health- mental health, nutrition, physical health, self-care, personal hygiene, etc. because these are all related to the overall health of an individual. That way, this project will be helping the patients as well as the VIPs.
--Cameron Carothers

No comments:

Post a Comment