Tuesday, December 3, 2019

#theVIPexperience Post #79: Rishi Mehta

The Crossroad Health Center - specifically the Volunteer Intern Program - has been profoundly insightful by first building and then continually reinforcing my interest in improving the condition of underserved individuals who lack access to resources to do so themselves.  
As I have been able to see first-hand, underserved population face barriers to reliable, quality health care, affecting not only individuals, but also their family members. These barriers include transportation, childcare, and healthy food. This is where the VIP program comes in. Within the VIP program, the saying “Treat the patient, not the condition” has proven itself, time and time again. As a VIP, I found it humbling and gratifying to help patients overcome their financial, personal and logistical barriers by scheduling referral appointments on behalf of patients, matching uninsured patients with insurance policies, and scheduling transportation to help patients get to and from their appointments.
The VIP experience was also helpful in helping me translate what I learned about insurance from my real-world experience at Crossroad, back to the classroom. In my Health Economics class, I found myself with a baseline understanding of insurance policies, the system of communication between patients and their insurance companies, and an understanding of how Federally Qualified Health Centers, such as Crossroad Health Center, fill a niche in the community by providing primary care treatment for uninsured, Medicaid and Medicare patients.
The VIP program has also helped me build long-lasting relationships with my fellow VIP’s that extend outside of our shifts and rotations. Working towards a common goal with driven and dedicated like-minded individuals is something you can expect to find through the VIP program at Crossroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment