Tuesday, October 6, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #111: Arihant Chordia

As a student on the pre-health track, majoring in Biology or Neuroscience is merely the tip of an iceberg to be a healthcare professional.  Though the knowledge that comes with sitting in a classroom is valuable, experiences makes up a vast majority of the knowledge a healthcare professional obtains.  One of these valuable experiences that I am glad to be a part of is Crossroads Volunteer Internship Program (VIP).  Starting this position during the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic did make things a little different.  During this pandemic all work for Crossroads was done off-site.  Although everything was online, I realized I am able to make a greater impact on my community during such a difficult time, which motivated me to help as many patients as possible.  My job as a Crossroad VIP is a lot different from volunteer positions I have participated in the past.  During my shifts, I directly talk to patients and schedule their appointments.  Developing this relationship with patients is very crucial in the healthcare field.  I remember one call with a patient, I was just talking to them for nearly 25 minutes.  I had already scheduled the appointment for the patient, but they wanted to talk to me because they were, in their words, “lonely”.  At this moment, it made me realize how much of a difference I can make on patients in and around Cincinnati.  During this call I was able to keep the patient company for a little bit and simply allow them to talk to someone.  Although this has only happened once, as an aspiring healthcare worker, I feel it is crucial to form that connection with each patient, so they feel the most comfortable.  To me, being a VIP goes further than just scheduling appointments for patients but rather having them feel comfortable during the conversation and allow them to ask questions.  During a of a global pandemic, many patients can be stressed or confused, thus allowing for that comfort allows the patient to be at ease when talking to a VIP.  My experience so far in Crossroads has been very insightful.  Even though all meetings and tasks have been online, I have been able to connect with new people and gain new perspectives in the field of healthcare.  Overall, I am very happy to have applied and been accepted to this program allowing me to further my experiences in the field of healthcare.  Through this program I have developed new skills allowing me to dig deeper within the ice and uncover the vast depth of healthcare.

No comments:

Post a Comment