Tuesday, October 6, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #112: Bailey Ullah

As I am in the middle of my second rotation at Crossroad, I reflect and think about how different my experience as a CVIP is compared to interns in previous years. I began my first rotation off-site, which is not the norm, and has caused me to encounter some challenges along the way. Starting off was very difficult, only having someone on the phone talk me through the referral process made it seem very overwhelming. I remember my first call, a one-day reminder call, I was so nervous and unsure of what to say. I had to keep the conversation guidelines pulled up next to RedCap and Athena. Since that call, I have become a lot more comfortable with navigating through the referral process. I now have no problem obtaining one’s availability and getting started on scheduling an appointment. This has made each and every shift more enjoyable, just knowing that my efforts are helping improve the lives of others, even if it appears miniscule. Each shift that I have is different than the last, having the ability to talk to people from so many different walks of life and trying to aid them through this process. The reactions from the patients varies, I have had patients that have been genuinely appreciative when calling, but there have been times when I call & the patient does not appear to be in a good mood, sometimes even cussing. But regardless of their response, I am glad to have made an impact on the process, understanding that people react differently is huge. Sometimes people are having a bad day, or something happened, and they just so happen to take it out on you, or they are stressed and give you attitude. It is super important to understand this and realize that it is not personal, and that they probably are grateful to have some help, they might just have other issues that require more attention. As I prepare for my third rotation and my project, it excites me to have more time to learn more about the referral process and ways I can personally help improve the medical care experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment