Tuesday, November 3, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #116: Matt Nieland

When I first started at Crossroads, I felt very unqualified and overwhelmed with all the tasks we had to do. For my first rotation, I didn't feel like I was really contributing much to overcoming the health disparities and access to care that our patients often face. When I would sign on and see so many names that hadn't been contacted once, I felt like there was no way I would be able to get through them all. I remember the first call I made, I left a voicemail but forgot the phone number to leave for them to call back, so I panicked and hung up. Now that number is pretty well ingrained into my head to where I cannot forget it. When I first started, I would only make 7-9 calls a shift because I wasn't used to talking on the phone at all, so I was very anxious about it. Now I am confidently making at least 15 calls a shift, and really feel like I am helping bring access to healthcare to our patients. As I look forward into my third rotation, I think I am going to challenge myself further into performing more of the scheduling side of the position. I am still a little uncomfortable with making phone calls, but when I look back to the start of the summer, I see a very large improvement that I hope will continue into the next year. I am also looking forward to hopefully working at Crossroads in person next semester, so that I can see firsthand how Crossroads works, because only seeing it from a screen is not the full experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment