Tuesday, November 10, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #117: Noor Ghuniem

I have gained a plethora of knowledge through the Crossroads VIP program. I began in this program with trepidation, as I really did not know what to expect. When originally hearing that my position would consist of making phone calls to patients, and scheduling their appointments, I thought it seemed to be a very manageable undertaking - but soon learned that some of the simplest jobs offer the most enlightenment.

Oftentimes we miscalculate the ease in the tasks that we are able to perform on a day to day basis. This program helped to shed light on a function that I typically engage in without a second thought - scheduling appointments. 
Every week I make numerous phone calls and hear the varying stories of patients, both the good and the bad. Patients who have a million things on their plate, and are overwhelmed with their engagements find that removing even one small enterprise off of their to do list alleviates some of their burden.

Weekly procedures consist of looking through a patient’s referral in order to match them with a provider who takes their insurance and is within a reasonable proximity. The following steps consist of scheduling, and ensuring said patient has transportation to their appointment. It additionally appeals to the technical side of certifying they are properly reminded of their appointments, and that they are able to find a secure way to tend to their medical needs. 
 
As a student who is going into a health centric field, it is crucial to understand the internal workings of all positions. In order to be a morally sound physician, I feel that it is critical to my growth to comprehend that every part of the healthcare district is vital to its overall functionality as a system. Scheduling appointments is something that is often overlooked, but is still a vital point in the process of guaranteeing that the flow continues. From a staff member who stocks the shelves in the hospital to the surgeon who takes out an appendix, every healthcare member is important. The commitment to the ideal that every patient must have an equal opportunity to find the best provider for them is where we can come in and make our impact in the system. 

Crossroads is unlike any other volunteer experience I have had in the past. It is a humbling experience to have one on one time with the patients, and build personal relationships with them. I value the moments I am able to assist a patient in something beyond scheduling an appointment even if it comes down to becoming a listening ear. It has furthermore become a pivotal point in my college career to physically place myself in a health centric volunteer position that allows me to assist beyond the position listed in the description. My view on the medical field has been altered for the better, and for that I am thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment