Thursday, May 13, 2021

#theVIPexperience Post #128: Autumn Clark

 Throughout my entire life I have always been one that has appreciated and valued helping

others, whether it’s mentally, emotionally, or physically. Prior to CVIP I had been volunteering

in advocating for individuals with intellectual disabilities through the Special Olympics program.

The Special Olympics program taught me to understand and identify the daily struggles that

intellectually disabled individuals go through, and how to accommodate those struggles. As I

gained more experience with a portion of the undeserved population, I felt that I needed to

gain more experience in advocating and guiding other minorities within the medical field. So,

when I was accepted into the Crossroad Volunteer Internship Program, I was very excited to

have the opportunity in helping the undeserved population.


Throughout my time at Crossroad Health Center, it has been very humbling and eye opening for

me to witness the struggles that marginalized individuals have to experience. As an African

American woman that has experienced discrimination by health professionals, I know first-hand

the feeling of disappointment and disbelief that marginalized individuals have within medicine.

Therefore, during each shift I try to advocate for the equality of treatment and care for all the

patients I help throughout my shift.


During my time in this program, many marginalized patients have also faced financial and

health issues due to the pandemic. This program has allowed me to advocate for these

individuals by helping our patients receive quality treatment within their budgets’. I do this by

researching the patient’s insurance and finding a location/hospital that is covered within their

plan. Ultimately, Crossroad has allowed me to become better at communicating and advocating

for the best medical care/treatment for the underprivileged community.

No comments:

Post a Comment