Thursday, May 13, 2021

#theVIPexperience Post #131: Naomi Admasu

Entering college, I was under the impression that I wanted to pursue a medical career. It was shortly after beginning my first semester that I realized that wasn’t for me. Although I knew I was interested in healthcare, I wasn’t sure where I fit. I soon discovered public health. As I began learning about health disparities and social determinants of health, I quickly searched for organizations I could join as this was where my passion was. I discovered Crossroad Health Center and was drawn to the Volunteer Intern Program. I knew I wanted to play a part in making healthcare accessible for all patients. There are so many systemic factors that make it difficult for people to receive the healthcare they deserve and although I didn’t yet know what specific role Crossroad Volunteer Interns played in improving accessibility, I applied to the program. 

As I began familiar with the tasks Crossroad Volunteer Interns perform, I knew this is something that is essential for underserved populations. I was eager and hesitant to begin because I would be beginning my first rotation remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I vividly remember making my first call to a patient. As I called the first medical provider, I knew they heard the hesitancy in my voice. At this point in the program, I can say that I have grown so much. I am currently in the midst of my second rotation, and I can confidently say I have grown comfortable in this role. I love speaking with patients and building trust with them. I have gained many professional skills including speaking not only to patients but with providers as well. Additionally, the number of calls I make has increased from my first rotation. This work is so important and I’m grateful for the opportunity to be a VIP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment