Friday, May 27, 2022

#theVIPexperience Post #174: Mariam Elgomos

 Volunteering at Crossroads had been a huge breakthrough for me when it comes to my

interest in medicine and patient care. I have come to discover more about my love of working

with patients and helping them have a better patient and healthcare experience. It really put

things into perspective for me when it comes to scheduling referrals as I had not realized how

tedious and time consuming the process of just scheduling one referral can be. Up until I was 18,

my mother would always schedule my appointments for me, and I had always thought it was the

easiest thing in the world. Just a single phone call, I would always think to myself. I didn’t keep

in mind how long you can be on hold when calling care provider offices, or the hassle working

with insurance companies can be. As a volunteer intern at Crossroads, I got to experience all of

that, and I was able to truly perceive the difficulties that patients especially ones with low

income have to go through to schedule a single appointment/referral. These are the same patients

that work 1 to 3 jobs full time every single day to provide for themselves and/or their families,

not to mention they also have the responsibility of scheduling their kids’/family members’

appointments as well.

In addition to that, my eyes were opened to how much more of a difficult process it is for

the Spanish speaking patient community as the language barrier proposes another obstacle for

them and may make them hesitant from reaching out for help from a doctor/scheduling a

checkup thinking that their language barrier will make it not worth it. I have worked with a

couple of Spanish speaking patients as I have taken Spanish for almost 6 years, and I wanted to

use the gifts I had in helping others which is another thing that Crossroad taught me. In life we

are given gifts, whether they’re inherent gifts, privileges, or ones we had to work for. We can

and should use these gifts to help those around us because that is what brings us together and

makes us all united and help make the world a better place, even if it is the little things. One of

my gifts that I remain thankful for, is that I was able to get an education in Spanish and continue

to pursue a minor in it. I feel very honored to be able to share that with people who need it. Just

hearing the words “gracias” or “thank you that really took a lot of load off my shoulder” from

one of the patients I talked to one day made me so happy and more motivated to continue to try

my best to make every patient experience count and to make sure they know that we are there for

them and we care for their health which is why we as volunteer interns do this. I am thankful to

be a part of this experience and will always continue to try my best to provide the patient

community at Crossroads with the best and most accessible healthcare experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment