Friday, May 27, 2022

#theVIPexperience Post #175: Joanna Klika

 When I first started at Crossroad, I did not know that to expect. I had a couple friends who were already involved in the program, and they all said it was an amazing experience. However, I did not know much about what my responsibilities would be. I knew that I would be gaining insight into community health and the healthcare system. I also knew that I would have the opportunity for patient interaction, but that was it. I was nervous to attend my first shift since I did not know any of the other volunteers, and I was worried that I would mess something up while talking to a patient or scheduling for a patient. Luckily, my shift lead was very kind and encouraging while teaching me how to navigate the online systems that we use and how to talk to patients. Aside from gaining a new perspective on the workings of the healthcare system, I have also gained a lot of new friends from this program. Talking to the other volunteers has made even the most frustrating shifts enjoyable.

Now, on my second rotation, I have learned a lot about healthcare and have seen the real world affects of some of the concepts that they teach in classes. I have seen the barriers that the community Crossroad serves face. The most frustrating part of being a VIP is trying to call different offices and hospitals. Often, we are put on hold for long periods of time just to be told that they have not received the referral or that there are no appointments available for months. Scheduling transportation can be just as long of a process. I was surprised to discover how many rules and restrictions there are to do this. Fortunately, as VIP’s we have the time to sit on the phone or call the hospital, office, or insurance company back. Since this is such a time-consuming process, I can see how impactful Crossroad services are on the local community

No comments:

Post a Comment