Tuesday, September 27, 2022

#theVIPexperience Post #180: Kennedy Nicholson


When I first heard about the Crossroad Volunteer Internship, I knew I wanted to participate so that I could see a glimpse of health care other than the clinical side that I had previously been exposed to. I want to become a doctor, so much of the health care experience I have is how to treat the patients that come into the hospital or office. As a volunteer here at Crossroad, I have had a completely different experience. This internship has given me the opportunity to observe how many patients come through the clinic every day, and how this clinic is able to provide basic healthcare and refer patients to hospitals or other outpatient centers to better cater to their specific needs. Before experiencing this, I have never truly considered the process of how people end up at the hospital, and it is eye-opening to see and assist with the referral process including scheduling appointments, scheduling transportation for those who need it, and dealing with insurance issues. 

I think my experiences here definitely change my perspective on healthcare. In the hospital setting, it is easy to get caught up in the hectic environment and focus more on completing a task rather than focusing on one individual and how you can assist them outside the hospital. As a volunteer intern, I try to assist with every step of the process, making healthcare easier and more accessible for patients. It can be daunting to enter this process with little idea of how it works, and difficult for patients who have busy schedules and more pressing matters, or for those with barriers like language or access to transportation. I am glad that I took the opportunity to volunteer here because it has been an enriching experience. I think it is so important for future doctors to understand all aspects of healthcare, especially the ones that take place behind the scenes and might be a barrier to healthcare.        

No comments:

Post a Comment