Tuesday, September 27, 2022

#theVIPexperience Post #181: Niyati Kanchan

    My first rotation at Crossroad this past summer introduced me to a population I hadn’t spent much time interacting with before. During the same time, I was also working as a patient care assistant at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where I was taking care of a similar patient population. These two experiences combined exposed me to a side of healthcare that I knew existed but hadn’t been able to see firsthand. While working at the hospital, patients would tell me about the slow, painstaking process of receiving treatment or how their insurance couldn’t cover the costs of their procedures, or even the lack of transportation to get to and from the hospital. Then, when I would come to Crossroad for my weekly shift, I was the one scheduling for patients, trying to get them treatment and transportation as soon as possible while also making sure that the clinic accepted their insurance. I felt like I truly made a difference in the process, taking the burden of figuring out the logistics so that patients have time to finish all the other important business they have for the day. 

     Even now, when I call patients, I’m thrilled to hear relief from them as I take care of scheduling, which they may not have time to direct their attention to that day. Although I was initially scared of making calls and saying all the right things, as I worked more and more shifts, the more comfortable I got conversing with patients and working through full referrals. Specifically, completing one full referral always makes me feel like I’m truly making an impact in someone’s life. Now that I’m comfortable with this process, I feel more confident in myself as an aspiring healthcare professional. 

     For future VIPs- it can be scary making your very first call but know that it gets easier and if you have any questions, always ask! Most of us felt the same way when we first started working here, so we are happy to help with anything and everything during the shift.


No comments:

Post a Comment