Tuesday, September 27, 2022

#theVIPexperience Post #184: Rohan Desarapu

    "So far, my Crossroad Volunteer Intern experience has been fantastic and eye-opening. When I came in for my first shift, I wasn't quite sure what to expect in terms of what I would specifically be doing. I just knew that I would be making a difference on the access to healthcare in the Cincinnati community. That has absolutely been the case, but my experience has revealed so much more to me. As I sat down and listened to my first intern group meeting, I felt overwhelmed with all of the procedures and processes that I would be working with. A lot of the information flew over my head in a way that I had not expected. Walking into my first shift volunteering at Crossroad, I was nervous and anxious about making calls to patients and navigating the Athena and Redcap platforms that seemed so complicated at the time. I quickly found that there was no reason for this worry as my shift team welcomed me with open arms and guided me step by step through everything. As I continued, I grew more familiar and comfortable with speaking to patients over the phone and the overall referral process.
    In many of my classes, I have learned about the Social Determinants of Health and the many barriers to healthcare that underserved patients experience but it is as a Crossroad VIP where I have been able to witness their very real affects. One patient who I was working with extensively needed transportation to their appointment. Many of the transportation services that I contacted said that the patient was not eligible for their services due to their insurance. Thankfully, Cancer Justice Network was able to schedule a ride for them to enable them to go to their appointment to get the care that they need. It just really puts into perspective for me how much someone's insurance matters in healthcare as well as the significance of places like Crossroad Health Center and Cancer Justice Network who serve these patients and the communities that they live in. 
    I remember working with another patient during the beginning of my first rotation. I had called multiple healthcare systems over the last hour to find one that would be able to see them and finally was able to schedule an appointment with one. I called the patient back to let them know about the appointment and they thanked me for taking the time to schedule it for them. As a Second Rotation VIP, I have learned more about the actual impact I am making. These patients are extraordinarily busy, balancing their work, family, and their health. They do not have the time to wait on the line with a provider to try and get an appointment, only to be turned away in the end. To be able to take a weight off their shoulders by scheduling their referral appointments has been an amazing opportunity that I am very grateful to have had and will continue to have as a Crossroad VIP.
    Some advice that I would give to new Crossroad VIPs would be to ask for help when you need it, because when you first start, it can understandable be very overwhelming. In addition, I would advise them to look at the bigger picture and appreciate what we are doing, addressing the many issues of our healthcare system, as Crossroad VIPs as it will put the time that you are devoting here into a greater perspective."

No comments:

Post a Comment