Tuesday, September 27, 2022

#theVIPexperience Post #185: Luke Schambow

   

    "I first heard about the possibility of being a VIP here at Crossroad through another person in the program, and I remember being very excited about the opportunity to have any sort of communication with patients. As a freshman in college, I wanted to be involved in healthcare any way I could. I did not know much about healthcare or much about the work I would be doing here, but I can say that through my experience here I have learned a lot. I knew through my research and through the interview process that I would be working with patients negatively affected by countless social determinants of health, but actually working hands-on with patients makes the factors feel so real. Insurance so often limits the care that a patient can receive. Transportation issues makes patients hesitant to make appointments. On top of all of that, I have encountered situations where the wait times for a patient to get an appointment is almost nine months.
    So far, the VIP experience has been more humbling that I though I would. Helping these patients gives true perspective on how tough healthcare is for some people. Coming into this experience as someone who has only benefited from healthcare and always had the proper resources, I never realized why some people were so hesitant and cynical towards the healthcare process. It only took me a few weeks to realize why so many patients, especially those at disadvantages, feel this way. Now into my second rotation, my mind continues to develop new thoughts and perspective on healthcare as a whole. Healthcare is fragile for many, and I now see that patients' feelings of hesitancy and sometimes frustration are valid and need to be addressed by all who work in healthcare.
    For new VIPs, I would recommend going in as open-minded as possible. The referral process might be difficult at first, but after a few weeks the pattern becomes simple to follow. If you ever need help, never be afraid to ask; Someone is always going to have an answer and is always willing to help you. Also, I would say to never get too discouraged. Insurance issues and scheduling problems are inevitable, but just never lose sight of the goal of helping patients. Last, always keep in mind how appreciative the patients are that they are getting help - most of them have only kind words and appreciation for the work we do as VIPs."

No comments:

Post a Comment