Tuesday, October 4, 2022

#theVIPexperience Post #186: Immaculee Ingabire

   "Honestly, I didn't know what to expect when entering the program. I heard the opportunity of being a VIP in the spring from my professor and since I have always wanted to be in healthcare, she thought it would be a great experience for me to experience a different aspect of healthcare that everyone is not used to seeing or being a part of. Being a CVIP has definitely changed the way I think of "healthcare." When someone says healthcare, the first thing that pops into my mind is scrubs/hospitals and just helping people in an environment. Sometimes we forget about the other people that are over the counter and are helping with appointment scheduling or even communicating with patients. Hearing patients' relief after I assist them in scheduling appointments or even calling for reminders just says a lot about the whole program. It's not about the whole process but the end is always great to hear. I am used to working in the hospital where I see patients and converse with them more often and even make jokes but this experience introduced me to the part where I get to help them without being see. Some issues are hard to solve over the phone like transportation because if a patient needs transportation then we have to hang up and try to schedule transportation for them and call them again which can upset some patients because sometimes they are busy. This experience has definitely taught me to be patient and I am still learning and getting used to the experience myself.
    One thing I would say to the new VIP is to just not take anything to hurt, the healthcare system is messed up in general and I just think the patients have been through it a lot and it most definitely happens every time but once you should them that you care then that can change their perspective on healthcare."

No comments:

Post a Comment