Monday, March 20, 2023

#theVIPexperience Post #192: Makayla Wright


     "My VIP experience has definitely changed my perspective of health care. Before becoming a VIP, I had very limited knowledge about the inter-workings of healthcare, especially with regard to insurance and referrals. I am really grateful for my experience in this program because not only am I simply exposed to being in a clinical setting, but I get to interact with patients, and learn more about the various aspects of health care. 

    My favorite part about being a VIP--aside from being able to talk with patients--is probably the exposure to different medical conditions. As an undergraduate student majoring in neuroscience, I haven't had that much education related to medicine. But, as a VIP, I am exposed to reading about a variety of medical conditions in a range of different specialties. Anytime I read about a condition in a patient's chart that I have never heard about before, I get super excited looking up to learn more about it. It's also really eye-opening to learn about a patient's condition in addition to any other difficulties they are experiencing in their life. Because of this, being a VIP has showed me a glimpse of the different adversities that can be experiences by low-income patients.

    A really unique aspect about Crossroad is the underserved patient population that it provides for. Crossroad Health Care works to break down health care barriers that tend to negatively impact low-income patients. More specifically, Crossroad emphasizes that aspects such as insurance and language will not prevent them from giving patients the care they need and deserve. Being a part of this frame of mind has been really rewarding, as I have learned so much about various health care barriers--and how those barriers can't be broken down. To provide care for patients regardless of their insurance, Crossroad doesn't reject patient that don't have health care, and has payment plans in place to help patients with the financial aspect of their care. Additionally, VIPs with experience speaking other languages receive additional training to help speak with non-English speaking patients. Even more empowering, VIPs are also trained to use translating services to be able to communicate with all patients regardless of language barriers. 

    While I am still learning about the insurance and referral aspect with the health care system, I have learned the significance of referrals when it comes to specialized care, as well as the importance of going to scheduled appointments. I have learned how not showing up to appointments can prevent patients from scheduling appointments in the future, and that offices can dismiss patients based off of other specific circumstances.

    It's crazy to think that I randomly decided to apply to Crossroad on a whim after briefly reading about the program. I was nervous and the added commitment with everything else going on in my life, but I couldn't be happier with my choice to be a VIP at Crossroad Health Center."

No comments:

Post a Comment