Tuesday, March 21, 2023

#theVIPexperience Post #194: Dahlia Losey

    "When I first heard about the Crossroad Health Center internship opportunity, I grew very interested and sought out more information. I read up on the center's history and became heavily inspired by the roots of the healthcare center and its foundation. It was interesting to see how casual neighbor relationships developed into a greater discovery of healthcare needs and ultimately led to the development of Crossroad's first clinic. The first clinic relied mostly on volunteer work, and for Crossroad to continue welcoming volunteers really connects the present with the past and the initial mission of the founders. By joining, I knew that I would be able to reflect and fulfill this original mission by developing relationships with patients and not only recognizing the healthcare needs, but also being a part of a solution to those needs. I wanted to see this side of healthcare that is often left undiscussed in education, and while doing so, I wanted to be a person that each patient could confide in and have a voice with. I feel that I have accomplished this so far in my experience as a volunteer intern.

    Being able to see this view of healthcare and the various barriers that a person encounters upon seeking care has changed my outlook. I was surprised that something that is seemingly so simple for me, like scheduling an appointment, can cause great difficulties for another person. If a person is unable to eliminate these barriers in seeking healthcare, more issues beyond physical healthcare can arise and affect other aspects of that person's life. I never consciously considered these barriers and their consequences prior, but I feel that I have learned so much through being a VIP, and I feel more empowered to be a part of the force making access to healthcare easier for each person. I like that being a VIP has allowed me to make positive changes for each patient, which has allowed m to be a part of this force and solution so soon in life. Additionally, I have also grown more comfortable speaking and interacting with professionals and patients, which will be useful in my future. Having this experience as one of my first healthcare-related experiences has been valuable, because I can take the information that I have learned with me throughout the rest of my academic and healthcare paths. It will allow me to be more aware and more considerate of a person's situation. This position is constantly strengthening my empathetic side and allowing me to practice patience, proactivity, and compassion every day."

No comments:

Post a Comment