Thursday, February 1, 2024

#theVIPexperience Post #202: Claire Deitz


    "I first found out about the Crossroad Health Center VIP program from my freshman year biology teacher. The second I heard about it, I knew it was something I wanted to get involved in right away. However, I was slightly concerned because I knew most people in the program were pre-med and planned on going to medical school. I had planned to be a genetic counselor one day and then later get my PhD in neurogenetics, so I was unsure if this was something I could even do. Upon applying, I realized it really is for everyone that has interest in bettering the community. 
    Most people are aware that there are numerous obstacles in healthcare, but Crossroad really shows you just how deep those issues are. There are the financial, language, transportation, and availability barriers, each slightly different from each other. When scheduling appointments for patients, there can be multiple problems that come up along the way. With our training and community, we can overcome these problems for the patients.
    Not only do I feel that I am helping to better patients' lives in this program, I also feel that I am being welcomed into a community of bright future and current healthcare workers. Everyone I meet has the same care for patients that you do and it truly helps the environment flourish. It is crazy to think that I am already almost done with my second rotation and about to start my final once, but this community makes it seem less scary. Everyone gets to grow with each other and build off of one another. 
    Crossroad has taught me how to feel more comfortable in a healthcare setting as well as how to be more compassionate. Obviously, I still have a lot left to learn in my time here at Crossroad, but I'm lucky to be learning it here. I can't wait to see what the next few months bring for myself and everyone in the program."


No comments:

Post a Comment