Monday, October 14, 2024

#theVIPexperience Post: #209 Subhan Khalid

 "My experience with the Crossroad Volunteer Internship Program (CVIP) has profoundly broadened my understanding of our healthcare system and the importance of patient-centered care. A conversation with a friend, who was already interning with CVIP, piqued my curiosity about the intricate aspects of healthcare insurance, challenges faced by underserved and rural communities, and the art of effective patient communication. With aspirations of becoming a healthcare professional, joining the CVIP seemed like a golden opportunity for me to learn more about healthcare. This internship offered more than just professional growth, it presented a chance to address and bridge the healthcare barriers that patients encounter. On my first day as a VIP, I felt overwhelmed by the myriad of procedures and regulations I was to be working with daily. Engaging in patient-centric volunteer work for the first time, I was apprehensive, especially when tasked with making my first call. I thought of various worst-case scenarios in my mind, imagining the guilt I would feel if I messed up. However, with each subsequent call, I steadily grew accustomed to the standard protocols, gradually overcoming my initial thoughts. What struck me most during my time as a CVIP was the intricate web of logistics woven into patient healthcare, many of which were previously unknown to me. This experience allowed me to witness the profound influence of social determinants on health outcomes, showcasing the systematic hurdles countless patients face. Witnessing firsthand the challenges that underserved patients deal with was an eye-opener. From financial constraints and transportation to language barriers, the obstacles were manifold. Furthermore, it does not help that patients have to wait months for appointments and long hours spent on phone calls to schedule a referral. With their already demanding schedule, many relied on us to ensure they had access to care. My journey as a CVIP has not just been a learning experience, but a reminder of the gaps that exist in our healthcare system and the urgent need for reforms that place patients at the heart of care."

No comments:

Post a Comment