Friday, November 24, 2017

#theVIPExperience Post #40: Nina Marich

When I was in 8th grade, my grandpa passed away after suffering for 4 years with Alzheimer's disease. After spending a big bulk of my childhood visiting him in different nursing homes and hospitals, I thought becoming a doctor might be a possible career path for my future. I enrolled in a MedTrack program at my high school, and took rigorous science and math courses with extra electives included. When I took bioethics, we briefly covered healthcare and the challenges undeserved communities face in getting basic healthcare. Once the class was over, that did not stop my researching in this area and my passion to know more about this and what can be changed to fix it. As a freshman in college, one of my biology professors at Xavier University posted the application for Crossroad’s Volunteer Internship in the Facebook page. After looking over the mission statement of a VIP and what the job does, I thought this would be an incredible opportunity to work in a clinic specifically designed to help patients facing these challenges. 

One of the reasons why I was so happy to be a volunteer intern was because of the type of community Crossroad creates within its staff, its roots in faith, and its mission statement to show empathy, not sympathy to our patients. I believe that a strong connection with staff leads to a better experience for the patients. When I shadowed Dr. Haas before I started working on referrals, I saw how the entire staff at Crossroad is a community within itself. They all work great together, respect each other, and there is always someone there willing to help if someone needs it. My shift started at 8AM, so I was able to be a part of the morning huddle, and I was moved that the staff prayed together before they started their day. Their prayers were genuine and asked God to work through them to be able to help their patients in the best they can, whether it be mentally, physically, or spiritually. I love that there is faith-centered approach to their healthcare and they reach out to patients suffering beyond physical problems, and create meetings that will assist them in other ways. 

I am currently in my second rotation at Crossroad in OTR, and I have already learned so much more about the communities we serve, and that their challenges do not stop once they have insurance coverage. My first rotation I did referrals for our adult patients and there was never a day that I was able to schedule an appointment at the first location I called because of the limitations of where the patient's insurance was accepted. Even with that, there is also a limitation as to how far away the hospital is and if the patient can get there. This internship is a necessity for this clinic because it is designed to help our patients break these barriers that could be the reason why they never get to receive the further healthcare they need for a healthier life. I love being able to be an active part in this side of healthcare, and find ways to provide transportation, directions, and insurance coverage, to name a few, and make it easy and accessible for our patients to receive the best care possible outside of Crossroad Health Center. 

                                                                                                       -- Nina Marich

No comments:

Post a Comment