Friday, August 23, 2019

#theVIPExperience Post #61: Charlotte Kirchhoff


I started volunteering at Crossroad Health Center in the spring of my first year at UC. I heard Dr. O’Dea come in to talk to a pre-health club meeting about her experiences with healthcare, and I heard her talking about a sliding scale health clinic she worked at, and how they had volunteer opportunities for students. I was intrigued; I had never had the chance to really get to volunteer in under served populations in such a long-term way before, and I knew that helping people is something that I am passionate about. So, after emailing Dr. O’Dea, I applied and was accepted.
I didn’t have a very strong understanding of what exactly a VIP did for Crossroad Health Center, so I really had no idea what to expect. After spending 4 hours every week at Crossroad for two semesters, I can confidently say that I truly love spending my time here and getting the opportunity to help the patients. Our role at Crossroad is exciting, fun, and sometimes difficult, but always incredibly fulfilling. The patients that we work with are often incredibly busy and oftentimes very overwhelmed. So, providing the seemingly small service of taking scheduling referral appointments off their plate, and being a source to help them navigate the healthcare system, we are able to help them a lot. Seeing how grateful they are, and seeing them get the help that they need for whatever problem they had is what makes volunteering as a VIP so rewarding.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a VIP so far, and I am looking forward to continuing to be an advocate for others, and working to make healthcare more accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment