Monday, August 26, 2019

#theVIPExperience Post #62: Fatima Khan


Growing up, I had always assumed that when one fell ill, a simple phone call could connect a person with a healthcare professional who could help. But my time at Crossroad Health Center has introduced me to the inequities that exist within the U.S. healthcare system by placing me in the center of its communication. Through speaking directly with both patients and healthcare professionals, I have been able witness the lack care that an individual receives simply because he/she is on Medicaid, Medicare, or cannot afford health insurance. The VIP program has greatly expanded my scope of understanding and perspective on the barriers that are present between people and quality care. To me, this program is an opportunity to slowly pick up the pieces of this weakened system where I can and help to connect others with professionals. Often times, when I speak to patients, they tell me about how they are given stacks of papers or phone numbers to call and are expected to know how to navigate through the system. But such assumptions are what further ostracize families from receiving what I believe to be a basic human right. Here, in the VIP program, we do not believe in simply supplying people with resources, but rather creating a community where knowledge, understanding, and passion is shared and practiced to ensure that together we build a society where all feel that they can be taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment