Tuesday, August 27, 2019

#theVIPExperience Post #63: Current VIP


As a new member of the Crossroad VIP team, I was initially anxious and unsure of the referral process. I was confused about how referrals operated and how to adequately serve patients to ensure utmost care and compassion. I distinctly recall my third shift, I was asked by one of the providers to directly speak with a patient regarding their availability and some of the barriers they experienced in access to care. While initially nervous, I built up the courage to open the patient room door and speak with the patient. While first our conversation surrounded their immediate availability, it quickly transformed into an intensive conversation about their healthcare needs, access to supplies and medication, and their personal and emotional barriers involved in their care. They expressed concerns of their current medications and the fear associated with their condition and how they were unsure as to how they would be able to continue to care for themselves and their family. Their story allowed me to look past the surface level scheduling process and further understand the intensive individual and systems level barriers that prevent patients from receiving adequate care. Thus, I was able to understand a deeper level of compassion and empathy for patients, furthering my ability to care for Crossroad patients and ensure their health outcomes are achieved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment