Thursday, October 17, 2019

#theVIPexperience Post #69: Fatima Khan


Before becoming a volunteer at Crossroad Health Center, I will be honest in admitting that I did not know much about health care at all. I knew that if I needed a doctor's appointment, I could pick up the phone, call the office, and have a time scheduled in the upcoming weeks to go in. However my time here has showed me the inherent privilege that lied beneath my access to health care. Here at Crossroad Health Center, I have witnessed first hand how these providers work to transform the system day in and day out. They recognize that care does not end simply after the patient walks out the door. They build relationships with patients and attempt to understand how the dynamics outside of the examination room such as access to transportation, food, and the like, all affect the individual. This place has inspired me to pursue public health as a career and learn more about how social determinants of health can be worked with to enhance the care that such populations are receiving. In addition, I hope to pursue a Spanish in Healthcare certificate at my own University, in order to increase my ability to better minority health. Crossroad Health Center has been a catalyst of change for me and completely altered my outlook and the path in life that I wish to take. This place has given me a vision to pursue and has provided me a wonderful foundation to take off from.

No comments:

Post a Comment