Thursday, October 24, 2019

#theVIPexperience Post #71: Heather Wardwell

My motivation for becoming a doctor stems from my desire to bring healthcare to underserved populations where basic healthcare needs are not often met. I have a strong belief that quality healthcare should be a basic right afforded everyone no matter their racial, ethnic, economic, or social standing. After earning my medical degree, I want to focus my career on bringing quality healthcare to underserved populations globally by working with an organization such as Doctors Without Borders. Through the promotion of overall health, the life expectancy of developing countries can be increased and therefore produce healthier, happier people that are able to contribute more to society. Ultimately a healthier population can lay the foundation for a more developed and thriving society. 

Prior to earning my medical degree, I am focusing on using the skills I currently have as pre-medical student to help the underserved populations in my area. I am able to accomplish this through volunteer programs offered by organizations such as Crossroad Health Center. Since being apart of the Crossroad VIP program I have gained more insight into the health inequalities created by the issue of poverty. Many of the patients Crossroad servers face daily struggles regarding food, income, housing, transportation, internet or phone access, along with numerous other obstacles. These challenges in combination with lack of access to or knowledge of the healthcare system, make it hard for patients to receive the quality care they deserve. 

Working as a VIP I am able to help these patients navigate the healthcare system and receive the medical care they might have otherwise gone without. Seeing the obstacles patients face in simply making a doctors appointment has made me come to better appreciate the resources and opportunities I have been privileged to have in life. No longer do I take for granted my health insurance that lowers my out of pocket expenses, the phone I can use anytime to schedule a doctor’s appointment, or the car I use to get to appointments. Not only am I grateful for the opportunity to help these patients, but I am reaffirmed in my desire to pursue a career to help these patients and many more in anyway I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment