Friday, February 28, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #83: Kristina White

I’ve always thought that I would find a career that was science related and involved helping people, but in high school I was lost on what it would exactly be. The summer before my senior year, my cousin had a major spinal surgery that required me to stay in the hospital with her and be her caregiver once she was released, involving making sure she was taking her medication on time, helping her bathe, and preparing her meals. That is when I knew that medicine was for me. It wasn’t until I became a volunteer in the internship program at Crossroad Health Center, that I knew for certain that I was meant to work with underserved populations.
Being able to hear and see the changes, difference, and impact for yourself that you can have on someone’s life is so rewarding, and it makes me feel like I am doing something worthwhile with my time. We get to have some many different experiences in helping patients and see the outcomes firsthand. It puts a lot of things into perspective that I don’t think a lot of people realize, such as how limited some people’s access to healthcare is in America and in our own backyards, how various determinants and policies can impact one’s ability to see a healthcare professional, and how diluted the public’s knowledge about the healthcare system can be. Throughout these two rotations at Crossroad, I have realized how important the work is that is done in clinics, such as this one. Wherever I end up, I want to continue doing this kind of work, and I will always be grateful for this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment