Saturday, February 29, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #84: Aaron Williams

My time serving as a VIP at Crossroad has been extremely eye-opening to me. I grew up in a family with a physician parent. I thought I understood the healthcare system. It seemed simple to me; someone gets sick, they go to the doctor, and they get better. However, being a VIP has shed light on the reality of healthcare for underserved populations. The intricacies and complicated nature of this system is not made to be understood easily, which is exactly why I feel like my volunteer work at Crossroad can be so impactful. Nothing makes my day better and my time more worth it than hearing a patient express their gratitude for the work that is done to assist them in setting up a referral appointment. I know without the VIP role, the staff at Crossroad may be overwhelmed if they had to add the responsibility of setting up referral appointments for patients as well. Beyond my impact directly on patients through being a VIP, I believe that this program will continue to influence healthcare down the road. As a future physician, I will have a significantly greater understanding of how one’s intersectionalities influence their social determinants of health. In addition to this, I have a better understanding of how different people feel towards doctors and medicine and what can be done to connect with different populations and individuals to best serve them. When I first started, I thought I was just signing up to be a volunteer, but being a VIP at Crossroad is so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment