Tuesday, March 3, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #86: Rita Atalor

My experience as a VIP at the Crossroad Health Center, has been instructive and rewarding in many ways. When I started with the program, I had minimal knowledge of the healthcare system in the United States. This was partly my motivation for applying to the program, to gain insight into the behind-the-scenes of patient care. However, my time at Crossroads has taught me much more than that. I have learnt about insurance companies, HIPAA policies, scheduling, and documentation, but beyond that, I have learnt the value of each individual in the patient care group. From the nurse, to the medical assistant, to the people behind the scenes scheduling referrals, each person plays an immeasurable role in providing the best care for the patient. 

Currently in my second rotation, I volunteer with the Tobacco Treatment Group. Through the weekly meetings, I have interacted and connected with patients with an immense amount of knowledge and an openness to share and learn with one other. We are a small community of people who come together weekly to be in kinship and solidarity with one another. I have learnt so many new things by just being in conversation with these patients. 
I am truly grateful for the opportunity to a part of the Crossroad community and look forward to the rest of my experience here.

No comments:

Post a Comment