Tuesday, October 13, 2020

#theVIPexperience Post #113: Harman Hayer

When I moved to college, I struggled to grow familiar with a new community at UC after being so involved in my high school and home community. I searched for organizations and clubs that would give me the chance to make a difference in my community while starting a new chapter in my life. I felt like the perfect opportunity had fallen into my lap when I heard about Crossroad Health Center and the VIP program. The program would allow me to use my strengths to make a change while working towards my goal of going into healthcare. Although my first and current shifts are remote, I feel like I have still gotten an immersive experience and have learned a lot about myself and my skills. At first, I didn’t feel comfortable speaking with patients and hesitated out of fear of making a mistake. However, after going through the referral process a few times, I became fond of our patient population and excited for my shifts. I enjoy speaking with patients and hearing about their days. I also hear the struggles they experience when trying to schedule appointments. Personally, I have been able to schedule my appointments easily but was shocked to hear how difficult the process can become when you have to consider factors like insurance and transportation. It has been very eye-opening and driven me to work harder towards challenging systemic disparities. Since the beginning of my time with Crossroad Health Center, I have grown more confident in my communication skills and am able to effectively communicate with patients I meet at my job as a dental assistant. I am grateful for the opportunity to be in the VIP program and highly recommend it to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment